Thursday, April 9, 2015

Antique Buffet in Ash (Fusion Mineral Paint)

I passed this buffet up twice before on FB because of the price.  When Frankie listed it the third time I hemmed and hawed because he had lowered the price and finally....

I CAVED!

I admit, I have no willpower.  I mean 0, zip, nada!  When I went to pick it up I talked him down $50 more and then I was one happy camper!  I have a hard time saying no to these antique buffets so when the price is right it does my heart good! :)

It sat in my garage for a couple of weeks while I finished up some other projects (and recovered from shingles,  get the shot if you can, you DO NOT want them!).  It gave me time to think about what I wanted to do.  It's such a timeless piece and I wanted to update it, but wanted it to still feel classic.  




 BEFORE

I sanded the top down in 30 degree weather, but a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do. ;)  It was a beautiful piece of wood so I was happy even with frozen fingers. 

You'll notice in the after photos I also took off some of the broken trim pieces at the bottom.  There were too many missing to fix, so I  just removed them even though it hurt my heart to do so. I kept the middle pieces because I just couldn't stand to see them all go....






 AFTER

The base of this buffet was done in Ash from Fusion Mineral Paints.  I really enjoy working with their paints and they have such a nice finish as well.  


I then washed it in a color similar to French Linen from AS.  I just mixed my paint with water until it was thin and brushed it on, then wiped it off with paper towels (redoing the parts I wanted to be a little heavier).  It really brings out the texture of the wood and gives the paint a lot of dimension. 




 These legs make me weak in the knees.  So beautiful!



I did the wash really heavy on the applique as I wanted it to go in all the nooks. 




Also, I left the paint in the trim detail.  What a gorgeous backsplash! Thankfully the trim work was still intact on it!



I can't even tell you how much I love this!  I waxed it with clear and dark wax when I was done and then around the edges with gilding cream. It's very subtle, but more noticeable in person. 



These antique pieces have so much character and I am really starting to embrace letting it show through instead of trying to "fix" it.  I'm telling you, a type A personality is hard to overcome! :)




Gorgeous top.  You know the drill, sand down, on this one 1 coat of Java Gel from General Finishes, and then 4 coats of Varathane in satin. 

When I finished staining it there was a dark spot in the middle.  At first it really bothered me, but then I decided it was part of the "character" I was talking about.  That's the beautiful thing about wood, it's unpredictable and inconsistent.  Just the way nature intended. 




Oooh la la! 




A lot of people mention attention to detail and it really can make or break a piece.  I love this soft blue/green.  It compliments the gray so nicely and it's not overwhelming.  I also had to paint the drawers and line them because there were ink stains on the bottoms of the drawers that I couldn't sand out.  I just sealed them with shellac, painted, and lined.  I love how fresh they are now when you open them!  It's a lovely little surprise. 








I love the antique bronze hardware with this graphite color, and with the gilding (you can see it in the bottom right corner of this pic).  It all ties in nicely with each other.  At first I had two turquoise knobs on the top drawer, but they just didn't "feel" right, so I ended up using all the same knobs on the drawers. 



Still completely adore these!













This piece will be available for sale at Consign It at Bay Square Park in Green Bay, WI later this month.  Email me if interested!



27 comments:

  1. I love all of it! Please share with me where you got the bird paper? Also the wooden "Love" art , did you make this? If so can you give the details please?! Looks just beautiful. Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jann. It's actually fabric from Hobby Lobby and I did make the sign. It's vinyl lettering on whitewashed barn board :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful piece! Beautiful paint job and the color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, beautiful, sublime. I love the texture you created with the wash and the waxes!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...this is stunning. I've my father-in-laws buffet, very similar...waiting for warm weather so I can begin to refinish it. Fusion mineral Paint is something I've not worked with.....will I have to remove finish or just sand, and sand? Your drawer liners are so pretty. Thanks for sharing a great piece once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a light sanding should be fine (just to take any sheen off). And, thank you. :)

      Delete
  5. Lisa, this buffet is perfect. I wish my final waxing turned out as lovely as this. Can you explain how you put the fabric in the drawers? Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning! Wish I had the space for a piece like that. Love the details, like the insides of the drawers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you find the hardware! The gorgeous knobs finish the piece beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning and ready for another 50 years of love!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning and ready for another 50 years of love!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i just love how you did this, I need to do our church buffet table that is used as a information buffet table. , Would it be possible to give me more detail information how you did your buffet with where you bought the paint items, wax, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This piece is beautiful! Could you tell me the exact brand and color of the wash and waxes you used? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this piece and is exactly what I am looking for. Where are you located? Is it for sale? Please let me know if we could communicate further thru email. Thank you - Cathey

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this piece and had an old dresser that I am trying to do the same thing to. My question is that when put the thinned paint over the ash color, some of the ash paint comes off when I use the paper towel. Is it supposed to do this? I have tried redoing it with the paint not as thin, and I get the exact same result. Is it supposed to as when you add the waxes it gives it more of a distressed look? Thank you very much! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been doning back over and over again to study this piece! You inspired me so much when I had really no idea WHAT I wanted to do with my own piece. I LOVED the Ash color, but the white brushing over nailed it! Please come over to my blog and check out my freshly painted vintage vanity set :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a true artist. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it. Ive passed up some because they dont have enough storage and I need something to replace a chest of drawers (as we call them in UK). Struggling to let my head rule my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We Give out personal loans for debt consolidation, bad credit loans, unsecured loans, loans for bad credit and instant secured loans with cheap rates Do you have a firm or company that need loan to startup a business or need, personal loan, Debt consolidation? For more information. We will provide you with loan to meet your needs. For more information contact Note: And many More:and many more at 2%interest rate; (Whats App) number: +919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com Mr Jeffery

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lisa! I'm sure this post is old but I had to tell you that as I am looking for "Ash" inspiration, I have shingles. I swear I have had them for a month but as soon as I heal I'm going to get the vaccine. Your piece turned out so pretty and I did learn that I need to spray shellac on the drawers that I am working on so I can paint them. They too have ink stains. Thank you for the inspiration. I loved that it's not flat like the rest of the Ash pieces I have found.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3