Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Dresser turned Bench

I found this dresser not to long after I started painting.  I wasn't very picky then.  I knew the drawers were broken and thought it would be an easy fix. ;)  Well, I never did fix them so ended up keeping it instead of selling it.  I recently did a hutch for myself and it replaced this dresser.  I didn't want to mess with all new drawer glides so I decided to repurpose it.  

I just want you to know I have an amazing husband!  Truly, he's spectacular. :)  I told him what I wanted to do and he hauled it to the shop and got to work.  And, he's good at what he does!!  I owe him more than I can ever pay (and for more than just fixing my furniture!)

I am so stinking excited to show you this one!   


 Not the original before, but
Before




 After


Ahhhh--it's so adorable!!  Yes, my kids think I'm a freak! :)


The color is Covington Blue by Benjamin Moore.  I actually glazed it once and decided I liked it better before glazing so had to repaint it.  I hate when that happens, but oh well!



 I love dark knobs against a lighter color and I love how the glass in the middle helps them not look too heavy. 






You know I love a dark top and I couldn't let the opportunity to have a little contrast go, so I opted to stain the arm rails.  Love how rustic they look with the grain. 








We had to cut the legs off so it would be the right height for sitting.  And, although I was sad to cut any of them off we left the best part! :)



Seriously, loving this one so much!! 
Hope you have a great rest of the week!! 

This piece will be available at our Refuge Home Decor Event on April 26th, 10-2
254 Miramar Dr. Allouez, WI


Linked up here:
Miss Mustard Seed

42 comments:

  1. Love it! This is seriously one of the most clever transformations I've seen! Your hubby is amazing, but so are you!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Robin! He really is amazing. ;)
      Lisa

      Delete
  2. Such a gorgeous dresser and it also makes a fabulous bench. Great transformation. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You seriously just make me happy. lol

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, you are so creative! That is an awesome little bench! I love the way your mind works!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could take credit for the idea but a friend posted a pic on my FB wall and I took it from there!! :) Thank you Sharon. :)

      Delete
  5. Holy cow girl, this is genius. You two amaze me. This is absolutely stunning. Sheesh you make it seem so danged easy. I wish I lived in Wisconsin!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes it look easy. I just stand around while he does all the hard work!! :)
      Lisa

      Delete
  6. That is adorable, Lisa! Your hubby did a great job. Love the color and that the best part of the legs were able to be saved. The knobs are great, too. This will make a wonderfully whimsical piece in someone's home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beauty! The color is amazing and the lines of now, as a bench, are amazing! Great call on transforming it into something new!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous re-purposed project. Great job. Very original.

    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are my hero Lisa! I love everything you do and I may have to move to Shawano just to job shadow you! LOL!
    Fantastic transformation!
    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely wonderful. Amazing carpentry and refinishing. Here's to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Umm, yeah. My husband and I are kicking ourselves - in all of our dinking around with furniture, how have we not come up with this!?! Pretty sure you've started a new trend! It's GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness!!! Talk about inspiration!!!! You have been blessed with a truly creative mind....if you have to be a freak, this is the best kind of freakiness! Ha! Well done!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Are you kidding me?? This is seriously gorgeous! Off to Pin it... :)

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so adorable! You are so creative! I love the idea, the color, the hardware. Everything!! You just made me SMILE! I am now obsessed with toutr blog :) and wish I lived closer. (PA)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it!! Dressers, even antique ones, can sometimes be hard to use pieces. This is an amazing upcycle and I can't wait to try it for myself. Thanks!! Also, the clock above it is way cute.. did you do that too??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well that is definitely another option for that piece you just can't get to original bones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this!!
    I'd like to make one out of my old childhood dresser (it's pretty destroyed already). I was wondering if the top rail was from the original dresser or if you bought new?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and that was a piece of wood I already had. :)

      Delete
  18. I love this bench! One question: How did you stabilize the seat so it's sturdy enough to hold a person's weight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He pocket screwed a piece of 3/4" wood between the legs on both sides creating a "ledge" for the seat, then glued the seat down, removed the drawer, and screwed the seat down from underneath. He's very handy that way and it was solid as a rock. :)

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. I'm sorryJanine. It was a long process and my husband did it while I stood there and held his tools. I would love to give you instructions but I'm not capable.

      Delete
  20. Very nice - I'm from WI, hope you are enjoying this unusual, warm weather too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is the drawer still a working drawer?

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOve, LoVe, LOVE...this makeover!!! What a beautiful color, too; what is it called? Please contact with more information. Thank you for sharing! ~Sheila Page, sheilapageiii@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG...that is the cleverest thing I have seen in a long, long time and I have been around a very, very, long, long time. Your husband is worth his weight in 24K gold. Treasure that man.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3