Friday, January 3, 2014

Boy's Desk

This was a bonus desk when I picked up another piece last month.  The lady opened up her storage unit and I was immediately checking out what she had hiding under all her totes.  You don't do that? ;)  I told her I would take the piece I had originally come for and then asked her if I could have this desk, too! lol  She was game and away I went with my "new"treasures! :)

Confession:  When I got home I looked at it again (I think there is such a thing as "furniture goggles") and was wondering why in the world I took it. BUT, then inspiration struck and I was so glad I bought it!!  

I don't think I've ever done a piece of furniture specifically with a little boy in mind (mainly cuz I love the girly stuff!).  This one was just speaking to me though.  I ordered some milk paint online, picked out the hardware, and couldn't wait for it to come together.  I must say--

It'S AdOrAbLe!!!!


 Before



 After

I know I'm happy when I step back and the first thing I do is smile.

*The European Mount is actually a buck my son shot two years ago. 


 It had a horrible faux wood grain paint job, so I sanded it all off and stained it with Early American.  I didn't want to go too dark with the stain and muddy up the grain.  I love the tone of this with this shade of green.



 Milk paint is so unpredictable and it was touch and go for this I-like-it-to-be-perfectly-smooth girl. 
It has so much texture and a mind of its own!  But, I decided it was time to embrace the paint and I ended up adoring it.





 I've been saving these map knobs for over a year now, and FINALLY had the perfect piece for them.  Seriously, I was grinning from ear to ear when I put them on!  They are just "right" for this cute little desk and I added the antique brass pull to the middle to break it up a bit. 






I've used milk paint a few times before and knew it could chip a little or a lot.  I did end up scraping off sections and redoing them because it chipped a little too much for me.  It was easy to scrape and then I simply sanded a little heavier to prep the surface because there was no way I was going to wait for the bonding agent to come in the mail!
 I've never seen it turn this whitish color before though.  Has anyone else seen this?  I don't mind, it just looks white washed to me and adds to the layered look.  I actually like it.  I'm guess it has something to do with the lime in it?



There was a huge, ugly stain in the middle of the drawer so I raided my scrapbook paper and found enough to cover it.  I used Modge Podge to adhere it.  <3!!!




Have a great weekend!

This desk was featured by:
Stacey @ Embracing Change

Thank you!

Linked up here:
Saturday:

Sunday: 

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:


18 comments:

  1. Great color, Lisa! I just love the map knobs. I think when you pick out the hardware it is almost as much fun as deciding on the paint color. It's nice to see something for a boy, too. Although, I like the girly makeovers quite a bit myself. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this! The color and stained top are just perfect!

    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable is right! I love that shade of green and it looks great with the stained wood top. And yes, the hardware is absolutely PERFECT! Nicely done Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love it! It is beautiful! You have THE EYE! I love the color and the knobs and the top. So adorable! Fun to try milk paint, too :O)
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love keeping a wood top. Gorgeous colour too!
    Joan @ nicerthannew.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO adorable. i'm ready to go out and find a wood desk to remake asap! thanks for the inspiration! http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I love the wood top and painted bottom and I can't wait to try it out. Thank you for sharing!

    P.S. I found your link on Sumo's Sweet Stuff Block Party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the knobs! and the color is fab,
    Marie @
    In Our Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another nice job...such a great idea to paper the inside of the drawers.

    Love the metal chest of drawers on top of the desk, too. I got the same one for a Christmas gift and plan on using it to organize my little craft supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything about this is beautiful. I absolutely LOVE it. Wish I needed a desk for my son's room. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, love it....the knobs are the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a great eye!... another beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love! Still haven't tried milk paint...I'm not a huge fan of chippy, but this has just the right amount. :)

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE! Where I've been scouring different retailers and ebay for more unique knobs/pulls for a dresser I'm redoing. Any suggestions as to where I should try online?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love it!!! angie from germany

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I mean, absolutely love this. Those drawer pulls are fabulous!

    Thanks for linking up at our Twirl and Take a Bow Party. Hope to see you again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3