Monday, January 21, 2013

Antique Plank Desk

I bought this little desk this past summer.  When I got it home I realized just how "rustic" it really was.  I let it sit for a long time because I just couldn't decide what to do with it.  I finally had a client (the same girl this dresser and this dresser belong to) who wanted to give it a new home and she told me to do whatever I wanted (yea!).  It had a very thick red stain (which was deep in the wood) so I was worried that color would bleed through (BIGGEST pet-peeve!) anything I put over it.  I finally decided to go with black so I wouldn't have to worry about it and because her other 3 pieces are so colorful!  I had this cute little chair I thought would be great with it.


 Before


This was the first layer on the seat....

the second (nice, huh?)....

and the third (even better!).

 She was seriously dying for a makeover!!


Here she is after.  Much better!!


Check out her gorgeous legs!!




Here's the desk.

 Before

Sorry, the picture is blurry, but trust me when I say she was rough (you couldn't possibly see under all that dust anyway!!).


 After






I can't wait to show you the top!  Craig sanded it all down for me, but we decided to leave just a little of the old stain deep in the wood.  Then I stained it with Early American (Minwax) because I didn't want it to be too dark.  It brought out all the dings, knotholes, and scratches.  I love a piece of wood with character and this one's got a lot of it!!  I just love the look of the planks too (the sides are planks as well).  I finished it with 3 coats of poly.




This is seriously swoon worthy.





 I left the original hardware as is because it is just so cool!  I didn't want to paint them and cover up their natural patina--I love how they match how rustic the top is.







Sweet little curve on the front edge.







 I really like how rustic the shape, the top, the distressing, and the hardware are and the little bit of formality the black and the fabric on the chair give.  Who says you can't mix old and new?!



This desk was featured by Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.

Kathryn @ The Dedicated House
 by
Laura @ The Ironstone Nest,
and @
Full Circle Creations.

 Thank you so much ladies!



  Linked up here:
Homespun Happenings
The Shabby Nest
In The Old Road/> A Diamond in the Stuff TheRusticPig

32 comments:

  1. Stunning!! I LOVE the top! The whole piece looks like something right out of a furniture shop... you'd never guess it once looked like the "before" picture! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Claire. When I finished it I did stand back and say to my hubby that I couldn't believe it was the same desk! :)

      Delete
  2. I re-did a desk and chair as well. But, I really love yours. Love that desk.

    I'm having a STRUT YOUR STUFF Social hop. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and come show off your best projects. Or, just come link up your blog!!

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2013/01/strut-your-stuff-social-hop.html

    I'm also looking for Pinterest Pinners to feature every week. If you are on Pinterest and are interested in being featured come link up! Who knows you might meet some other great pinners and gain a few great ideas.

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2012/12/looking-for-pinners.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinning it, I love how it turned out.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super swoon worthy! LOVE the stain color! Such a beautiful rustic piece!

    Jenna @ http://www.rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna! I visited your blog--you are a very talented and creative girl! :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. You really have a gift for this! The pieces are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous job on both :) stopping in from wow me Wednesdays and newly following.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic makeover on both! I love the fabric, hardware and how the top of the desk wasn't painted. Also love that wire owl! Now following your blog.

    Have a great day!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angela! The owl is still one of my favorites, too! :)

      Delete
  8. You did a great job on the chair and desk. Love the rustic wood top of the desk.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did such a beautiful job on both pieces. I really love the look you created. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet that chair is screaming THANK YOU for freshening it up.That was some sad looking fabric under there!

    It looks amazing! And I'm drooling over that wire owl on the desktop. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOLY COW BATMAN! I saw this over at French Country Cottage. Love it! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful redo. It was genius to leave the desktop lighter than the rest of the desk. So gorgeous. I'm sharing this on my Once Upon a Firefly FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Completely love this! You will be one of the features at Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathryn--can't wait to stop by and see the other features!! Have a great week!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful desk! I love the wood on top! I'm pinning this!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/01/submarine-sunday-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOve it all - the desk, the black paint, the planked top...the owl!
    Great job Lisa.
    As usual.
    Thanks for sharing - have a blessed week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stacey! :) Hope you have a wonderful week, too!

      Delete
  16. Hey Lisa Great job on the chair and desk. The lines of chair are so great, and the legs, wow. I have a thing for great and different chairs. Lucky gal that's buying them. The desk top is different in a wonderful way, glad you stained it, not painted it, gives it great style. Wish I could find something like that.
    Where we live (west of Grand Junction, CO) anything like that is super expensive, people selling now know people like yourself buy pieces to redo and sell. Doggone it. Great job. Does your hubs always do sanding for you? Mine makes me do the sanding and painting. Happy Week I'm a new subscriber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. :) At first I thought this might have been a bad buy on my part, so I was super happy with the way it turned out. I usually do my own sanding, but I got a little back logged during the holidays and was a little stressed out so my sweet hubby came in and helped me out. :)

      Delete
  17. I love the chair and the desk! You did a great job! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it!!! What a neat desk! I love the black with the stained top! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great piece you have created! Love the distressed black and the perfect tone of plank top.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3