Thursday, November 13, 2014

Side Table in Swiss Coffee

 I feel like I've been MIA for a while now.  I have a good excuse reason...ok, maybe I don't but I'll tell you what happened.
 
We moved into our current house 14 years ago.  It needed a lot of help and my amazing husband has done an incredible amount of work for me.  We've done new siding, new roof, new windows, added a garage and two decks, took out windows and added French Doors, new flooring, new appliances (some twice), new countertops, partial remodel of the kitchen and, of course, a ton of painting over that time period. 
 
The one thing we've never touched are the kitchen cabinets.  Our house is 100 years old and the current kitchen is actually a remodel and addition.  When they redid it they put in oak cabinets.  You know how I feel about oak!  Especially the color that was so popular in the 80's.  I've lived with it for almost a decade and a half and last year I asked Craig if I could paint them.  He is a typical man and likes "good" wood and, at first, told me he did not want me to paint them.   I acquiesced to his request and dropped it...for a while.  I've asked him several times since and he hasn't said no, but I know the look that says no. :) 
 
Fast forward to two Saturdays ago.  He's going to help a friend on his farm and is feeling badly about leaving me on a Saturday and says, "You could always paint the cabinets while I'm gone."  What?!  Now, I would be lying if I said the only reason I haven't tackled that project is because he didn't really want me to.  The main reason I haven't painted the kitchen cabinets is because it struck fear in my heart.  It's a big freaking project!  Just the thought of taking every one of those doors off and removing the hinges, and cleaning, and sanding, and painting multiple coats seriously made me want to cry.  BUT, I was going to take advantage of this current situation, so when he walked out the door, I turned to my daughter and said, "Let's do this."
 
An hour into it I was regretting that decision but there was no going back.  So, I started painting, and a week later finished those blasted things!  I am so glad I did!  I LOVE them!!  The problem?  It made everything else in my kitchen look like trash!  The floors looked horrible, the walls looked horrible, the countertops blended in too much.  Boo!  Well, the floor needed replacing anyway because it was 10 year old linoleum in a high traffic area.  Nuff said.  So, what started out as painting the cabinets turned into a full scale kitchen remodel. 
 
I'm so excited, but I've been busy with that and have not painted much.  I don't know about you, but once I get out of the swing of things it can be difficult to get back in, if you know what I mean.  We're talking a serious lack of motivation here.  So, yesterday I decided I better do something about that and had this little table stashed in my garage.  It was small and I thought it was perfect to get me back "in the mood". ;)
 
 
 Before
(When you read the "before" under the pic do you think, "My gosh, we knooow. Lisa!"  Haha, it's habit I guess cuz I'm really hoping you know it's the before without me telling you!)
 
 
 
 
After
 
There's not much to it, but it's a sweet, little thing and great for storage, too.
 
 
I painted it Swiss Coffee by Behr because that's what I used on my cabinets and it was still out! ;)
 



The top was another one of those faux cherry things, so I sanded it down and stained it with Java Gel.  The grain isn't very pronounced, and I like that it looks a little more rustic than cherry or mahogany would.
 
 

 
And, that's it.  Have a few bigger projects next week, so I'll be back at it. :)

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I thought the staging was a little lackluster in that first pic and realized it MUST be the before!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you!!! I so want my cabinets to be painted but I'm so afraid to start the project. Will we get to see photos of your finished cabinets? Your work always inspires me. Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this babble I see above me??

    Love your little side table...dying to see your new kitchen!!!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that great? DELETE! :) and, thank you :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now when are we getting to see the kitchen cabinets? Funny that YOU of all people delayed (great reasons tho) painting AN"YTHING - because you are the MASTER of redos. No one I have ever seen understands it like you do.

    I am soooooo excited for you and your new kitchen whoo hoo. (What a pain though, huh? And so much work!)

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3