Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Vintage Dresser in Black


A friend asked me if I would be interested in this dresser.  When I first went to look at it I was hemming and hawing (only on the inside) and couldn't make up my mind.  But, the man who was selling it looked so hopeful for a buyer that I had a hard time saying no and it came home with me.  I had a little bit of buyer's remorse on the way home.  Even after all the experience I've had buying furniture that still happens to me. :P

The lines of this piece look very masculine to me, and I don't do masculine very often, so I decided to go for it. My hubby likes black on furniture.  Every man I've met doing this likes black on furniture.  So, black it is.  I didn't want it to be one big black hole though so I decided to do a little something different with the drawers while still keeping them simple. 



 BEFORE
It just looked so tired and so bOrInG! Like something you'd find tucked in the corner of a not-used-very-often lake house. 






 AFTER

I can't help but smile when I see the before and after.  Who doesn't like a good transformation?  It just looks sharp now. 


 The stripe helps tie the top in with the body and doesn't leave the top drawers hanging there like they don't belong. I love that the eye is drawn to the natural wood and then the stripe just adds a little something special. 







I love antique brass against black.  I had to use cup pulls on the top two drawers to help hide the holes I had to fill.  I like the brass with the wood.  I considered adding two knobs to each drawers but like the simplicity of one in the middle. 




This is my personal opinion, but a good finish can really do a lot for a piece.  ;)







9 comments:

  1. Seriously awesome transformation! You've taken this from a boring trashy, outdated piece to a whole new life of class and richness! Well Done! I would like to invite you to share your work on my linky party. It starts Thursdays at 6:00 pm (MST). It is a Furniture only party and I would be honored to have you join! I hope to see you there!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    http://thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love what you have done with this dresser! The way it's styled is so appealing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did! I just picked up one similar to this and I too have been dumb struck on what to do! But now I have an idea!! THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very nice.
    I'm loving the look of raw wood incorporated into painted pieces. The black really makes a statement, but the warmth of the wood really does make this a stellar piece. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! One of my favourite pieces you have done so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful - love how you have 'tied-in' the wood with the black and the two different handles - a great transformation :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, another awesome makeover. I love love the top drawer detail and the stripe does indeed help tie the drawers in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A friend asked me if I would be interested in this dresser. When I first went to look at it I was hemming and hawing (only on the inside) and ... bblackdresser.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3