Monday, October 19, 2015

Vintage Oak Dresser


I picked up this cute little oak dresser several years ago.  I removed the top two drawers, added a shelf and had been using it for my tv stand.  UNTIL, I kept the gorgeous vanity I refinished a few weeks ago.  I can't tell you how happy I am I kept it, but it meant this little gal needed a new makeover and a new home! 

Thankfully I never re-purposed the drawers ;) and I kept the support that goes between them.  So, I simple removed the shelf, added the support back in, and replaced the drawers.  I also had to replace the top as it had warped.  My hubby simply used the old top as a template and cut a new one out of a piece of pine. 

I loved this little dresser in white, but I thought it was time to do something fun with it. Of course, you already know I am in love with almost every shade of turquoise out there so I mixed up a custom color, which looked gorgeous in the can, but when I put it on the dresser it just looked anemic.  I let it sit for a day to give myself time to evaluate and hated it just as much the next day.  SO, I went back to the kitchen and mixed up a different, more vibrant color and tried that one out for size.  This dresser has been 5 colors in the past 3 years (3 shades of white and 2 shades of blue).





BEFORE

Like I said, I liked it in white, just wanted to do something different with it.




 AFTER

It's a simple, little dresser so I kept the design simple: All one color, all the same knobs (that's unusual for me!).




 I like how the rusty centers of the knobs pull down the dark from the top. 




 It's pine so it's not perfect, but I like it dark and I love the knots and grooves in it. 




 It doesn't have a lot of detail, but I love the simple side panels and the cute skirt. 




 I distressed it enough to bring out it's previous colors. :)




4 comments:

  1. love it, and love how it has been used for different things. i do that with my furniture. i am wondering if the stain that you used for the top is a gel by any chance? i am looking for a gel to cover old stain on my wood floors to hopefully make the process easier than to do a total sanding, blah, blah, blah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just figured out why I have missed your posts - for some odd reason I have been "falling off" a blogger's followers logs - this is about the 10th one that I have discovered. Just ggrrrrr I am not pleased. BUT I just rejoined again - so at least I won't miss any more createinspire posts again- your blog is one of my all time favorites! Yikes!

    Back to the piece - wow! I love that hue of blue - you seem to understand so perfectly well what a piece needs to turn into! I do like the dark wood - not a pine fan, but gotta do what we gotta do I guess, huh? This is a gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3