Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dining Set


This table is actually my friend's grandmother's.  One of my favorite things about doing furniture is being able to update family pieces so people want to use them again.  Sometimes people are afraid to paint an old piece of furniture, especially if it's been in the family for a long time.  But, if you don't love it and don't want to look at it (or if it's pretty rough) then I think it makes more sense to fix it so you're proud to display it in your home.  Just my opinion. ;)  

 The table came to my shop in pieces so the "before"s aren't great but you can get an idea of what  it looked like. The chairs were just a light wood with a clear coat, and the bench was actually her son's shop project (which he did a great job on!). I told you I have a thing for pine, which the top was, so I was happy to just stain and poly it. The bottom of the bench was made of 2X4's, so I filled in the screw holes and cracks and then painted.

 Before



After
None of these pieces matched before.  The table, bench, and chairs were all different wood tones and came from different places.  She wanted it all to fit together, so we stained the tops dark and painted the pedestal, bench bottom, and chairs white.  I love how painting the chairs white added a traditional touch to their modern shape.




The tables on the right are from this post.



I just love that her new furniture inspired a DIY project at home!  Her and her courageous hubby tackled their banister.  I think it looks great!!  (I would have hated to paint all those spindles! lol)
Good job Tere!!



color = Westhighland White SW
stain = Red Mahogany Minwax
poly = Wood Classics in Gloss SW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3