Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Vintage Lane Cedar Chest

Someone tagged this Lane cedar chest on FB for me.  Now, if I'm being honest with you, I don't really like mid century or 70's furniture.  I don't really get into the clean lines and I absolutely do not like the original hardware on almost any of these kinds of pieces.  With that being said, when I saw this piece I knew it was a one-of-a-kind and it was in mint condition.  Perfect candidate for a make-over.  

I think I've already mentioned, a few times, that I am usually mindful of the feel of a piece before I decide what to do with it.  There is no changing the fact that this piece of furniture is what it is and came from the 70's (the original tags are still inside).  BUT, I know it is possible to meld vintage with modern to come up with something I think is workable with what people are looking for today.  I also love Reeves', from The Weathered Door, style and she has helped me look at this style of furniture in a different way.  So, I came up with a plan to do something that I thought was fitting for this piece but still was "me".  




 BEFORE




 AFTER

The color is Thermal Springs from SW with dark wax.  I love how it is an updated color but still has a little bit of vintage vibe.  I also wanted to do something a little different with the bottom drawer.   I didn't want to do it in dark wood because I didn't want it to look too heavy.   I opted to do stripes but stayed within a shade on the color card so they weren't too over bearing and slanted them to mimic inlays in many of these pieces. 







 You know hardware can instantly update a piece and that's why I have a stash of these cup pulls. I actually wanted to do them in library style, but could only find one. Boo!  It's ok, because I never get tired of these. :)





 Waxing leaves such a soft sheen and I love that. 



 The top was cherry so I sanded it down, gave it one coat of Jave Gel, and 3 coats of Varathane. 




 The drawer still had the original green felt and it was pretty worn, so I lined it with this leftover fabric I had.  Yep, still am gaga over it. :)





3 comments:

  1. Can't believe it is the same piece, Lisa! You nailed this one for sure, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your work... I wish I lived closer... I would be shopping with you all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We Give out personal loans for debt consolidation, bad credit loans, unsecured loans, loans for bad credit and instant secured loans with cheap rates Do you have a firm or company that need loan to startup a business or need, personal loan, Debt consolidation? For more information. We will provide you with loan to meet your needs. For more information contact Note: And many More:and many more at 2%interest rate; (Whats App) number: +919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com Mr Jeffery

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3