Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Coffee Table in Linen


This coffee table was another "rescue".  Hubby was going to take it to the dump and asked me if I wanted it.  Sometimes even I have a hard time seeing the potential in a piece, and I almost said no!

 What's funny about this piece is that the worst part of it ended up being the focal point. There's not much to this table and the base is pretty standard, so the oak ended up taking center stage. 



 Before 

Yowzas!  I think somebody used it for a work bench and spray painted something on the top of it. It had lots of scratches and some were too deep to get out, but I think they just ended up adding character. :)




 After



Thanks to a grinder with 80 grit paper I was able to get all of that hideousness off.  
I then smoothed it out with 150 grit.  Here's a little tip.  Even using finer grit paper on wood can leave tiny scratches.  If you notice swirlies or little scratches just sand in the direction of the grain and it will take them right off (even using the same grit paper that put them there).


Then I used two coats of Java Gel, letting the first coat dry for a couple of hours before doing the second coat. Followed by 3 coats of Varathane in satin. 

I absolutely love that wood can take such abuse and be restored to its former glory!




 The body got two coats of Linen from General Finishes then was lightly distressed and sealed with Varathane. 






4 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful job on this table! It has a whole new life! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would name this table Lazarus. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I'm so glad you saved it from the dump. :)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3