Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Singer Sewing Machine Table

This Singer sewing table belonged to my client's grandmother.  She wanted to keep it for sentimental reasons, but it was looking pretty rough.  The varnish on the top was peeling and it had been in storage for a while (*side note, I hate spider eggs, but as my husband pointed out, they're better than spiders!)

I love the base.  I mean, what's not to love about old rusty wrought iron?  She wanted a classic look so we decided to go neutral which I think is perfect for this piece.  We chose Linen from General Finishes and I chose to simply distress the details to keep it understated. 

I've always wanted to paint one of these, but I never committed to buying one because they seemed like a lot of work.  I was right. :)  I had to remove the base from the top and remove the side pieces from the top as well.  I also had to remove part of the top to be able to do inside.  I was so relieved when it all went back together again!


 Before




 After








 This table has so many pretty details.  









This is the side panel.  Sorry, I had to crop all the ugly (my garage) out. 




The top is Tiger Oak and the finish was very rough.  I sanded it all down (this was tedious because I did the inside, too, and all the edges had to be sanded by hand), gave it two coats of Java Gel and 3 coats of Varathane to finish it. 












11 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful transformation. I have two sets of the drawers (only) waiting to be painted. Looking forward to doing them and hoping they turn out half as well
    Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most beautiful sewing machine table I've ever seen and you did amazing job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness. This is beautiful! I have one very much like this that belonged to my husband's grandmother - and it still works. I wonder if I could convince him it needed to be painted, hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect....love all the detail. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this one...looks the same as the one I brought home last summer (was my Gramma's)...but mine doesn't have all the pretty details. :( Beautiful job, as always.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely gorgeous and exactly what I wish to accomplish with my 1930's circa Singer. This will be my first DIY with restoring a wooden piece and would appreciate directions on where can I can get a step-by-step on how to accomplish these finishes! Can anyone help? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one that needs some refinishing as the top is peeling off, but what paint did you use to paint the drawers and sides?

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful. We just refinished one also, does anyone know what type of bobbin these machines use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The transformation is beautiful. Do you mind me asking where you got the wall hanging above the machine/table?

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3