Tuesday, October 30, 2012

White Antique Buffet

I bought this buffet from a very nice old gentleman who said it was his grandmother's and came all the way from Norway.  Ok, I think I've become a skeptic in a lot of things, but I am choosing to believe him because it would be a really neat story if it is true. ;)  Regardless of its origins I loved the shape of it (I cannot say no to a buffet on legs--it is almost impossible!!).  

I think I've been having a mild case of painter's block because it took me forever to decide what I wanted to do with this one, too.  It just didn't seem fitting to do it in any color but black or white.  I asked a friend, she said "white", I said ok! :)  Problem solved.  It had a beautiful wood top on it so I left it natural and am so glad I did. 

The man had been stripping it with a pocket knife!  I can just tell you that I am thankful for my orbital sander!! 



Before
Note the totally mismatching and missing hardware--makes me sad when the hardware is gone :( .




 After

She just has such a classic, simple shape and I love it in white. 
















Isn't this top so pretty?!  It's stained in Dark Walnut by Minwax.






 I wish I had a before of this drawer.  It was lined in dirty, nasty, old green felt.  I almost threw up in my mouth a little when I opened it.  I disassembled the entire drawer, ripped that awful stuff out, sanded it all down, and lined the drawer bottom.  Much better!  Just love a simple stripe now and then. ;)




I painted the inside beige the first go round and it was so BORING--so I opted to match it to the drawer liner. Love how fresh it looks!  Who wouldn't want to store their dishes (or whatever) in here?






I never get tired of white with a wood top and black hardware!

FOR SALE:  $250.00
dimensions:  53.5"W x 38"H x 21"D


This buffet was featured by Stacey @ Embracing Change and by
Judy @ DIY by Design .  Head on over to their blogs and check out the other features,  as well as what they've been up to!  You won't be sorry!! :) 



Linked up here:
shabby creek cottage




{Primp}



13 comments:

  1. Very very nice. I just finished one similar to this and did it the same way. Love the contrast between the dark stain and white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I just found one like this while thrifting only it had a small scalloped mirror on the top. Maybe 8" at the highest. Simply decorative! They wanted $200 for it and it needed TLC, so I'm hoping if it's still there in a few weeks I can dicker then down :) I fell in love with her from across the room and can't stop thinking about her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I love this! I found you on Embracing Change. I'm following along to see what other great things you come up with : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, did you work your magic on this! And I LOVE how you've styled it! (just my style :) I'm now following and would love you to stop and say hi!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I will be sure to stop by. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Lisa, I am new to your site and had to go back through ALOT of your old posts *sigh* and drooled all over myself! Your work is amazing and I loved them all! I am your newest follower and also followed you on Pinterest...don't want to miss a thing! Can I ask what kind of paint you use on your pieces, they are so beautiful! We just purchased a home and I have a lot of space to fill, so a thrifting I shall go!
    Crafty Hugs,
    Pendra
    pendrasplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pendra. Thank you so much for looking and for "following"! So glad you liked what you saw! I love the ProClassic line from Sherwin Williams. But, make sure you use a primer because it shouldn't go over bare wood, unless you want the real chippy look--then go for it! ; Any other questions feel free to ask! And, congratulations and good luck with your new home--very exciting! :)

      Delete
  6. I just love this makeover! That pop of color is gorgeous inside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holey Moses Woman!
    You are just rockin' lately! You msut be eating your wheties!
    This is awesome - love that top!
    Thanks for sharing this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful. I will be featuring this tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy!! I will check in while I'm waiting on election results!! lol

      Delete
  9. I love this! I want to do this with my son's vintage dresser, which looks similar. Which white paint did you use?

    I just updated a dresser with wallpaper, you might like this post: http://dagmarbleasdale.com/2012/10/easy-diy-dresser-makeover-with-wallpaper-and-glue-dots/

    Dagmar
    Dagmar's momsense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but the color is a mix of all of the left over whites I had (Creamy, Stock White, & Greek Villa by Sherwin Williams). Love the idea of using wallpaper for the drawers--think I will try this next time! Thanks for the post. :)

      Delete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3