Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Another Antique Black Desk

Before I get to the makeover I just want to say how grateful I am for people who are simply nice.  I had another experience on Hometalk that really made my blood boil, but there are so many kind hearted people who truly make up for the ones that aren't!

On to the makeover!! :)

I found this desk on my local FB classifieds page.  Love when people tag me in a pic and do the finding for me!  They're so nice!  

It had a few rough spots, but was solid and beautifully made.  And, I just love the shape of it!

I mentioned in the last antique desk post I did about CAREFULLY sanding down the top.  Here is why. I wasn't careful on this one and did the biggest no-no in refinishing.  I sanded through the veneer! And, was completely devastated because there was no fixing it  (it was a beautiful piece of cherry!). 

See that spot?  Not good.  In my defense, it was extremely thin, but I should have thought of that before I took my orbital to it. Oh well, we live and we learn, right?



Before


 After




I ended up painting the top, but left the edge unpainted so there was still some definition between the top and the body.  If you're looking at it from the front it actually gives the appearance of having a wood top. 







 Seeing the wood grain used to really bug me (a lot), but now I think "It's wood so it's ok there's a wood grain."  I'm learning to let go a bit. ;)



I love the original hardware and the patina it has so was really glad when she said she would like to keep them.  




Happy.....middle of the week! ;)


Linked up here:

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Lisa! I love this style of desk and would like to find one for myself. It is the perfect size and I love the drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I am going to have to try a black desk with a wood top soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful Lisa! I love the choice of classic black and the wonderful lines of that desk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Great idea to leave the edge wood and paint the top...nice save!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really neat, love how you did the top of it...great idea to keep the edge wood,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!! Mean people are such a downer! Here's to your beautiful furniture and happy positive people! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't image anyone saying anything negative about you or your work! Beautiful make-over!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Love this so much. It's an amazing make-over. Beautiful! Hope all is well, come see us ~ sharon and denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a great fix, just like it was meant to be. Such a gorgeous piece. Love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it's beeee-uuuu-tiful!! And what's this crap about someone being mean to you? I'll not have it. Off with their heads!!!!! Nothin' but love here.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the desk! The black looks great and leaving the edge unpainted worked out perfect. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made that desk look amazing. I swoon over all of your projects. To me you are furniture magician!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely a great design blog. This can be an individual and compared with your post. Keep it up more posting like this. office desks for sale in miami

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3