Monday, November 18, 2013

Almost Duck Egg Dresser


I have a thing for ASCP Duck Egg.  It's not gray, or green, or blue, but an absolute perfect fusion of all three.  Every time I see a piece done in this enchanting color my heart melts all over again.

This little hutch is showing her blue side here. 



BUT, I am a big 'ol cheapskate and can't bring myself to pay $50 for a quart (after shipping).  So, my mission this weekend was to make my own.  I got out my leftover paint and started mixing.  


You know this scene in Ocean's 12, right? 
Tess:  "That's too oxblood."...
"I worked at an art gallery, so, I uh, love art obviously...and paint.  That's too brown." 
"I'm sorry.  Do you mind?"

Guy: "Hey.  It's your paint."

Love it--especially her facial expressions while he's mixing! :D



I ended up mixing 3 different colors and when I held it up to the inside of the lid of my ASCP paint can I was so impressed with myself! :)  It's a tad bit lighter, but pretty darn close!  

A sweet friend was getting rid of this dresser and gave me first dibs at it!  How could I turn this cutie down??  And, guess what?  It was the perfect piece for some of my new homemade duck egg blue!
Look at her poor, mismatched pulls (and all her drawer bottoms needed fixing!).

Before

I've been doing a lot of customs lately and was itching to do my own thing.  My hubby walked into the garage and stared at it and I said, "I'm doing what I like." ;)




 After

Makes my heart ache a little it's so pretty.  Is that weird?  It is, isn't it! :)

 I turned on the heater in the garage, staged the dresser, went inside to grab my camera, turned the heater off, threw open the door, snapped a few pics, and threw down the door again.  I am seriously such a BABY when it comes to the cold!!



It had such a great texture on it from the old varnish.  I didn't even scuff sand, just painted right over the top of it.  It's solid oak, so instead of complaining how the grain is too open to get a nice, smooth finish, I just went with it and moderately distressed it.   I love how worn it looks. 

*Tip:  Hand distressing tends to look more natural than using an electric sander.   Using an electric sander can also gum up your paint (because the paint gets too hot from the friction) and can discolor it.  I'm wondering how many of us have used an orbital or hand sander to distress and had a big "Oops!" moment?! :) 






 I love the contrast with a dark top against this soft color.
 (I think I should have dusted it before I took these!) ;)





 A serpentine drawer gets me every time.  These have such soft curves and add a little femininity.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to go light or dark with the hardware, so I did both!  I love the contrast each gives.


I sprayed the cup pulls with Oil Rubbed Bronze (and the screw heads!).


A Lesson and a Quick Fix:

Before I painted I filled in the holes from the original hardware.  When I went to put the cup pulls on I accidentally placed the hole in the cup pull over the old, filled in, hole.  When I went to put the screw in, it wouldn't hold because the wood filler was too soft.
 Oh crap!  Seriously!
So, I simply stuffed match sticks (without the heads) and toothpicks in the hole to fill it up with wood.  I pushed them down so they were flush on the top and then broke them off flush on the backside.  Then screwed the new screw right it!  Quick and easy, and no waiting for putty or whatever to dry! And, since it's wood, it's way stronger than putty or filler!!



 Always love finding the original key holes intact.  This one was missing one, but the rest of them were there.







 I'm not usually a paisley kind of gal, but I loved the colors in this print and thought it added just a little bit of fun. :)




These little sunflowers help me pretend Jack Frost is still holed up somewhere and decided that nipping at our heels this year was just going to be too much work!!








I will be sad to see this one go....

This dresser was featured by:
Marie Elena @ Our Home Away From Home
Stacey @ Embracing Change
Rachel @ Maison De Pax
Kristen @ Wonderful At Home
Debra @ Common Ground

Thank you!


Linked up here:
Saturday:

Sunday: 

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:



46 comments:

  1. This piece is a true beauty - love the color you mixed. The lines are lovely and the distressing added the finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is my favorite piece you have done! Love that color you mixed - perfect! and the contrast with the top is to die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Lisa! I love Duck Egg, too, and used it on a few pieces in our master bedroom. You did come close {you're right, yours looks a little lighter} and I love it. Such a great looking piece. Love your sign, too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very pretty. Lovely shade and I think I like it better than the Annie Sloan color. Well done!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I definitely like your color MORE than ASCP Duck Egg Blue. I have learned the hard way to hand distress when possible and be veryyy careful when using ny electric sander to distress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFUL, I LOVE IT AND I LOVE THE WAY YOU HAVE IT STAGED! GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the color. I would like to have kitchen cabinets in this blue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love,love this dresser. The color is fabulous and such a great job of refinishing it. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job with that. I never use an electric sander to distress either. I agree that it looks more natural done by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that very HUTCH . I love it in blue. I loved that MOVIE too girly . HUGS and blessings IT all just looks so beautiful !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome job! Wish this was in my master bedroom. Great job on the color mixing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's one of the prettiest painted pieces I've ever seen! Sometimes simpler is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your custom color. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the color and the different knob choices!! Another great transformation!! Thanks for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase!!

    Shelly
    minettesmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. How pretty! I just love that color too and with the wood top it's just perfect! Really lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's beautiful! Do you have a recipe for mixing the color? I totally get that little ache when you look at something you absolutely love. If it's weird, then I'm weird too! Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Job Lisa! The color turned out super fabulous, and thanks for sharing the great matchstick tip, will be filing that one away in my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMYGOSH...this is AWESOME...so pretty, it made MY heart hurt a little, too.
    I have the cutest little dresser that I am about to have a runaway to paint in just this color.

    ReplyDelete
  19. O, and I am now following you thru bloglovin and Google Friends Connect....and I want that sign on your cute chest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks alot, now Ive got COVET-IDESS!!!! LOL Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So happy I stopped in from Jen's...love this piece, you did a beautiful job!
    I am in the midst of making over some dressers in my master with some ASCP (Paris Gray) and think I will try and leave the top as is, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Everything in that after shot is STUNNING! Love the piece,, the colour of paint, the knobs, the styling - sigh...

    Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous! Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning and inspiring! Thank you for sharing, I love the contrasts (the pulls, dark and light, the unexpected fun inside the drawers) absolutely love and want it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing! I love it all- the color, the hand distressing, the hardware & the shape all go so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lisa, this is absolutely stunning! And, I love the way you styled her. Thank you for sharing! You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Here is the link to this week's party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/11/make-it-pretty-monday-week-77.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  27. That dresser is GORGEOUS! What a before and after. I'm featuring it in this week's Power of Paint Party Spotlight. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that dresser and the locks on them. Very special I should say. :-) return comments link. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm pretty sure Almost Duck Egg is now my favorite color, too. What a beautiful piece! Thanks so much for sharing. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just adore this dresser. I'm so glad you linked it up with Twirl and Take a Bow! Can't wait to see more of your projects! ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm seriously IN LOVE!!! I'll be featuring this post at Be Inspired this week. thanks so much for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for posting your beautiful dresser at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday, I love it! I featured it on my top ten picks this week. Have a great Thanksgiving, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just discovered your blog from Domestically Speaking! WOW...what a beautiful piece!!! I'm a beginning "furniture distresser", and I continue to be amazed at the beautiful projects I'm discovering. This piece is truly stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So pretty! I love the color you made. Duck Egg Blue is my favorite! I love the dark top and also love the drawer liners. Great makeover! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  35. She's a beauty, for sure. I could stare at her for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh Lucky me, I just found your website, Thanks to a Pin you posted. So I am now a hooked follower. Since I am new.....Please pardon my question, but do you ever share your recipes? Just curious what three colors you used to create this amazing color and was it Chalk Paint? Thanks for sharing your gifts with the world! Lucky Us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious about what 3 colors you mixed as well! It is perfect! Would you mind sharing your recipe?

      Delete
  37. LOVE LOVE LOVE This makeover and color.... can you tell me what you use to line your drawers??

    This is just so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  38. We Give out personal loans for debt consolidation, bad credit loans, unsecured loans, loans for bad credit and instant secured loans with cheap rates Do you have a firm or company that need loan to startup a business or need, personal loan, Debt consolidation? For more information. We will provide you with loan to meet your needs. For more information contact Note: And many More:and many more at 2%interest rate; (Whats App) number: +919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com Mr Jeffery

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3