Saturday, April 6, 2013

Maple Dresser Redo

Do you ever get tired of seeing black on furniture?  I get tired of painting it sometimes, but I never get tired of seeing it!  I don't know what it is about black, but it looks good on almost everything and it has the ability to make whatever it's on look like it's worth a million bucks.  

I found this maple dresser on CL and resold it fairly quickly.  My client asked me if I wanted to redo it and, of course, I said YES (that's why I bought it in the first place ;) ).  I asked her what she wanted and she said, "Black."  

Another black piece.  Great.  I feel this way almost every time.  BUT, (before I offend anyone!) I have never been disappointed in something I've painted this most-popular-of-colors.  As a matter of fact, I usually stand back and think how great it looks!  Well, this gem is no exception.  She was beautiful in her original maple state, but I think she's absolutely fabulous all decked out!

Warning: pic heavy post!  (Just for you Michele!!)


Before

She was pretty, but I couldn't wait to see her painted!


 After

Does anyone else think it's hard to photograph black?  Maybe too much light in the room?
Anyway... :)


 I've used these knobs a few times before but never on black.  I love how they just pop, not to mention they are just incredible by themselves!




 such a pretty, detailed skirt





Normally I use a semi-gloss on the pulls, but this time I went with a flat and I really like them!






The insets in the doors were wicker and I just treated them like the rest (primed and painted) of the piece.




I always try to treat the insides like I do the outsides--love opening a drawer or doors and seeing
it finished, too.




They say it's all in the details.  I absolutely agree!!

 *confession:  Can you see where I had to give her a tiny spit bath (she was dusty and I didn't have anything to wipe her with!)? ;)

If she could talk she would sound like my 8 yr old daughter ("Mom! Stop that!).






Now that I got my black fix for the week I am on to RED (and maybe another little something turquoise!)!  

btw-I bloodied my fingers AGAIN today--all in a days work I suppose! ;)

SOLD

*I love all of your comments and have started answering them by email.  I appreciate your kinds words and am happy to answer any questions! :)

This dresser was featured by Ann @ Stylish Once Again
Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co
and by 
Peggy @ PJH Designs

Thank you ladies!

Linked up here:
Friday

Saturday:

Sunday:

Monday:

Tuesday: 

Wednesday:

Friday:






32 comments:

  1. love love love it. I love the warm maple color peaking through where you have distressed it and this helps me to solve a problem. I have this little cabinet with wonderful yellow mosaic yellow mosaic panels. First I started to paint it a deep brown, no not right, then I painted it a navy blue. I intended to stencil it also but it is just sitting there, unfinished, something not right. But now I am doing to paint it black and no stenciling. That should work. thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the after, looks great and looks sold!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word - it is awesome! You must tell me the products you use...my black pieces never look like that!~ Please do share!
    Stacey :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this piece, I have a TV unit that is higher than me the top is for the TV and has a big hole in the back, (the old TV's were very wide back in the day before flatscreens) and I intended to paint it my creamy yellow that I used on the walls, but I think I will change my mind and paint it BLACK! I also love those handles, way better than the originals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW. This is piece is absolutely FANTABULOUS!!!!

    I absolutely love this, and you are such an amazing painter, just wow.

    I wish I lived closer to you - oh this is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to ask as well - what did you use to paint this (did you use a spray gun) and what colour of black paint and who by? You did a great job! it looks absolutely wonderful! LOVE it.

    Can I also ask what sand paper you used to sand the edges??

    Cortney@www.organicallyopulent.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous transformation! This is spectacular! I love it in black with the knobs and the distressing - excellent! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Please share how you got this so smooth & shiny. I'm always amazed at how your pieces turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's beautiful and the black so pretty. Love your hardware, perfect for her! Thanks so much for joining AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, this looks so fantastic. So much better in black! Love that you painted the interior too! Thanks for sharing this at Silver Pennies Sundays x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! It looks so much better now...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous job of reviving that piece! You attention to detail really shows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Talk about tall, dark and handsome - it's absolutely gorgeous!!!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks beautiful!
    I have joined your blog.

    according2sharon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. It turned out amazing in black! WOW! :) What a lucky client! I found you at TwelveOEight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It turned out amazing! If you get a chance, please link this up to my sunday linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunday-linky-party-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, your dresser looks amazing!! I love the color, and you did such a fantastic job. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week. Have a wonderful week. :)
    hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is amazing! You should link this up to our party, Give Me The Goods Monday! {1 party, 5 blogs} http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-party-3.html
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, these furniture re-dos are wonderful! I just LOVE them. It's one of my favorite things to do so it's really no wonder I love all of yours so much! ;) This one turned out so great. It is amazing what a little paint can do for a piece, isn't it?? I am in awe of the transformation when I finish a piece...I never get bored of it! I have a feeling you are the same way! :)
    Thank you so much for sharing this over at the Project Inspire{d} link party this week!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a stunning piece and perfect in black! I'd love to hear about the products you use!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just gorgeous! I think I feel the same way as you about painting something black.

    ReplyDelete
  22. She is fabulous! She looks wonderful now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my that turned out so pretty !! Beautiful job !!! I just did my first ever furniture re-do it was so much fun ! Thanks for sharing !! Hugs,Janie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely beautiful! I would love to know your painting technique. Thanks for sharing at Restyled Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The dresser looks beautiful in black! Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Lisa,

    Love this one too! Beautiful job as always.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous redo! And yes, it is hard to photograph but you did a great job :) Thank you so much for sharing at Pretty Things this week, hope to see you again tomorrow night!

    xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a stunning black beauty... love everything about this piece. The black paint really brings out all the details. I'm featuring it in the PoPP Spotlight this week. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lisa your featured tonight on Transformed Tuesday. Have a great week.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would LOVE to know what you used and the best way to distress . It's beautiful. I am actually planning on redoing my dresser and since it is very similar in design this would be fabulous!
    Thank You! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3