Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Vintage Highboy Makeover

When my client dropped a few of her other pieces off  she pulled this one off the trailer and said, "We were just going to junk this one.  I'm not sure you can do anything with it."  A lot of the veneer was chipped and peeling, but it was still very solid and the drawers were clean and worked perfectly.  I told her it had potential and I'm sure we could do something with it. :)
 
 
 
 
 Before
 
I'm not really crazy about this style, but I've done them before so I knew it could look like a million bucks.  I was a little sad to paint over those beautiful herringbone veneers, but they were a little rough--and it wasn't my call anyway. ;)
 
 
 
 After

 
Updated in black with antique brass pulls, you wouldn't even know this was the same piece! 




 
 Fortunately, I was able to save the top of this piece. It's a pretty piece of mahogany, not perfect, but still looks amazing.
 
 
 
I started using Minwax Polycrylic a few months ago and although I think I like Varathane better, I do like the nice matte finish the Satin gives.
 
 
 



The sun wasn't actually out when I took these pics but it was very reflective anyway (which I always think makes the black pieces look blotchy, but they aren't).
 
I did all the prep work on this piece yesterday and when I went to put the second coat of paint on the drawers I noticed there were scratches all over them.  When I scuff sanded I used 150 (normally I use 220) and it left scratches all over in the finish, which paint does not "cover up".  So, I had to go back and sand off all the drawers and start over.  I knew better and should have sanded them down to the bare wood in the first place.  Lesson learned.  Again.
 

 
 
 
 
Good landfill save??  I think so!
 
 
paint = All Surface Enamel from Sherwin Williams in stock black (low sheen)
poly = Minwax Polycrylic in Satin

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I had to scroll back and forth at the top, as I couldn't believe it was the same piece!Outstanding makeover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! I'm always amazed at what paint and hardware can accomplish! :)

      Delete
  2. Day and night difference. Unbelievable! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! And you sanded it down after you painted it! You are dang dedicated! I still think you have magical powers. In no way can I accomplish with a brush what you do. So jealous!!! The piece turned out fantastic! And I covet that clock.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after I painted it. I think I swore a bit. :). I think I got it at Hobby Lobby :)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful makeover!! It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, Your piece turned out absolutely stunning!! I think we've all done one of these before but yours is gorgeous! The change of hardware was a great addition, love it! Great job!!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful transformation! Great color and hardware.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3